Snowy Owl, Fetlar!

News broke of a Snowy Owl on Fetlar late on one evening at stackerberg their last breeding place in Britain. I had already seen one back in the day at Zennor, Cornwall but being so close I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see another. We waited a day to see what it did and it stayed put so the next day we were off! We got over to yell early so we could get the first ferry over to Fetlar. 
Arriving at Gutcher we got in our lane behind another group of birders. Out of nowhere he put the car in reverse and came back totally oblivious to the fact we were sat behind him, luckily I blasted the horn and reversed quickly up the lane which thankfully prevented him smashing into the front of our recently acquired 20k car. Lucky escape!! But things were about to get worse but we didn't know it yet. We boarded the boat to Fetlar and no sooner had we started to pull away MEGA Swainson's Thrush Yell. A tick for all of us!! I couldn't believe it. 5 minutes earlier and we could have turned around but we had no choice to hit the Snowy Owl. 
Once on Fetlar it was completely fog bound, hopes of seeing it started to sink but shortly after arriving at the site the fog began to lift and we could see the rocky outcrop it had been favouring. Soon after a cry went out "it's flying" it wasn't but something was a Herring Gull. Another shout it's flying now but it dropped out of view before I could get on it. 
Time was going by fast but no sign so I decided to climb up to get closer and hopefully find it the other side as I was sure it would be sheltering out of the wind. 45 mins later and I got my first views of it flying over the hill and then out of view again. I continued up and then spotted this beautiful owl hunkered down on a big rock where it allowed me to get a couple of record shots. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hampshire to Dorset to Hampshire. EOW!!

3rd time lucky for Bluethroat!

Brown Booby!!! Once, twice, three times.........